Wednesday 4 January 2012

A single man

This evening we watched the film, 'A Single Man'
It's currently 2.30am and we clearly have nothing more to do with the early hours of the morning other than drink hot chocolate and watch good films. And why not?

A Tom Ford film starring two of the most beautiful actors/actresses, Colin Firth and Julianne Moore.
I am aware this is my second consecutive post about a film. And yes, a film is a film. It is not reality. But sometimes, a break away from reality does us the world of good. Why had I not seen this film sooner? Breath-takingly beautiful and somewhat existential story following a lost and desolate single man who searches for the meaning of his very existence. Ironically, he is no longer even searching. He has given up the search, ready to die. But we watch the story unfold as he reaches his point of acceptance.

'A few times in my life I've had moments of absolute clarity, when for a few brief seconds the silence drowns out the noise and I can feel rather than think, and things seem so sharp and the world seems so fresh. It's as though it had all just come into existence. I can never make these moments last. I cling to them, but like everything, they fade. I have lived my life on these moments. They pull me back to the present, and I realize that everything is exactly the way it was meant to be.'
- A Single Man.

3 comments: