Wednesday 19 December 2012

new faces and new stories

'Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard.
Do not let the pain make you hate.
Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness.
Take pride, even though the rest of the world may disagree,
you still believe it to be a beautiful place.'
- Kurt Vonnegut.

I often wonder whether I am right to believe this.. after all, there is so much pain and suffering in the world, and as human beings I'm not sure we have the control to make it all disappear. However, the darkness cannot cast shadows on the light because there is always, always light. We just shut the curtains sometimes. In other words, we are prone to sitting in deep darkness and forgetting that if we allowed ourselves to open the curtains up each morning, just a tiny, tiny bit, we would see such a beautiful view.

This is only a very short post because I am shooting tomorrow and I must sleep otherwise my poor makeup artist is going to have some very big under eye bags to conceal. I have spent this afternoon with some very dear friends celebrating Christmas and have spent this evening gathering together some information for Uni assignments while organizing 'things'. These miscellaneous 'things' take a rather long time to sort out but at least life feels a little more tidy and ordered now.

So very much has been going through my mind. (isn't it always?) I have been transferring dates to remember from my current diary (which is looking a little worse for wear) to my shiny new 2013 diary, and therefore been reminiscent and a little nostalgic while remembering times both wonderful and saddening. There have been many, many changes this past year and if anything, I am realizing just how quickly these changes can happen, and how people come and go, but they never really 'go'. Not really. If they ever really arrived in your life with meaning and purpose, they do not just 'go'. It is impossible to just leave and forget. Practical life moves on just as the clock ticks, and your emotional life catches up eventually. But still, we don't forget.

I am looking forward to this coming year and all the new faces and new stories I will be embracing. Not so much to the goodbyes that will inevitably take place, but the hello's and new experiences.. These are the good ones. These are the times I look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment