Tuesday 12 November 2013

Lists and life

I do believe that life is a balancing act which requires great skill and expertise. I do not believe that we ever really truly learn the art of getting the balance 'just right' because such a thing probably doesn't exist. Firstly, the 'right' balance will look different to each and every one of us. Secondly, the familiar irony is that we often don't realise in the moment the great lessons that hindsight can teach. This isn't a defeatist way of thinking, it's quite the opposite; it's more of an acceptance that actually things don't always go to plan and when that happens, it's fine. The world still keeps turning round, the clock still ticks, and life goes on. Life is unpredictable and always in motion, and for the most part, life will catch you off-guard just to keep you on your toes. It is anything but simple.

Today I caught myself sat in a lecture caught up in such a fluid motion of thought and something was said which made me stop. It reminded me of a memorable conversation I had last week which went somewhere along the lines of taking life too seriously. Sometimes it's all part and parcel of the 'balance'. It's all to easy to get caught up in lists and goals and expectations. When really, when long term (and short term) benefits are considered, perhaps some aspects of life are best taken not too seriously at all.

This being said, my to do list is still very much impending and the majority of tomorrow afternoon shall be spent making some very satisfying ticks. I shall, however, approach this list with a little less seriousness and a little more heart and soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment