Sunday 27 February 2011

Latin lover

This new narrative editorial for Marie Claire Italia is beautiful. The early twentieth century style is inspired by Mexican painter Frida Khalo, whose work I have never really thought too highly of, but after seeing these new images I can appreciate her paintings much more. Her paintings are quite cultured and surrealist. I can really see her Mexican strength and passion but the most likely reason as to why I adore this story is because although vibrancy is there, there is also subtle femininity which I am always drawn to.

A lot of her paintings are self portraits and when asked about this, she said, 'I paint myself because I am so often alone and because I am the subject I know best. I never paint dreams or nightmares. I paint my own reality.'

This suggests that she was quite a troubled person.. I find it ironic that sometimes the most wonderful pieces of art are produced from a mind that is so corrupt and broken.







2 comments:

  1. the same happens with poets and writers, it's sad and wonderful at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree.
    The creative mind is also such a destructive one.
    The pictures are beautiful (though how small the model is kind of steals some of its beauty)

    Thinking of you xxxx

    ReplyDelete