Tuesday 10 May 2011

Water for Elephants

'The whole thing is an illusion, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's what people want from us. It's what they expect.'

I saw Water for Elephants a few nights ago, and I must say it is the most beautiful film I have seen in a really long time. Beautiful in every sense of the word. Firstly, a beautiful cast: the animals, Reece Witherspoon and Robert Pattinson. But more importantly than appearances, is the story, the imagery, the music, the locations. Oh my goodness. The contrast between reality and illusions, the power of love, and the pure romantic and elegant authenticity of the era and the depression. On the surface, I admit - it is potentially quite a predictable and smooth flowing storyline, but I was absolutely drawn in to the tale.

I struggle, with the concept of love. I know it is said the most powerful thing in the world, and I truly wish I could experience that ultimate power. But I find it difficult to understand. This means that usually, with a story like this, I cannot connect simply because my emotions do not allow me. But this was different. It must have hit a feeling somewhere, that I'm not afraid of showing.

Lovely, lovely film.

No comments:

Post a Comment