Monday 28 March 2011

Printemps

It is 7.30pm and the sun is only just beginning to set. This is such a lovely feeling. I spent this morning watching back to back episodes of Waterloo Road, then making some progress with my essay writing, went to an appointment and then spent the rest of the afternoon with an old school friend in town drinking tea. So although I feel like I've had a rather unproductive day, it is actually quite the opposite. I'm about a quarter through my essay, I had a very good appointment, and had a fabulous time catching up on the last few years of our lives with George. The few hours that I wasted in front of the TV can be forgotten about. Damn BBC iPlayer.

It is said that the sun is a mood booster. According to medical experts, the bright light from the sun makes a difference in the chemistry of our brain. This chemistry controls the nerves in our brain that stimulate our moods. So there is a reason as to why we are overwhelmed with joy and feelings of contentment around this time of year. Because finally, after endless months and months of being hidden away, under layers of clothes, fighting the cold English climate, facing grey and dull skies above us and equally grey and miserable people surrounding us... Finally, we have light. I know it is not quite that simple. I would be naive to think that it was. There are much deeper aspects contributing to the psychological well-being than purely the sun! But I do believe it plays a small part. It just makes me look forward to summer.. Makes me crave spontaneity and freedom, and makes me miss those closest to me. It makes me feel young.

Ahh, I must mention the most wonderful surprise the post man delivered through my front door on Saturday morning. A parcel full of goodies including dairy and sugar free delicious treats, and a lovely charm that says 'Enjoy life'.. This was of course from my kind friend Amber. We don't get to chat much these days.. I think mainly due to the fact that she lives in Lincoln and I live up here in good old Yorkshire! But also we are both rather busy people. However, when we do have time to catch up, it is simply lovely. There are so many incredible things I could say about this lady, but if there is one thing I am thankful for, it is her support. I owe her so much more than I could ever give in gifts. I am aware of this becoming a very long and 'fluffy' post, but I do feel ever so lucky.

1 comment: