Thursday 17 March 2011

You are you, and I am I.

'I do my thing, and you do your thing.
I am not in this world to live up to your expectations
And you are not in this world to live up to mine.
You are you, and I am I,
And if by chance we find each other, it's beautiful.
If not, it can't be helped.'

Fritz Perls, 1969.

This is why I don't actually mind doing background reading for my uni work. Infact, I quite enjoy it, because it allows me to come across wonderful words like these. The words speak for themselves, so there is no need for an explanation. Just to note that there is something about them that stays with me. I am aware that this could be read as rather naive and yes, it is a slightly 'hippy/care-free' motto, but it is also one that relieves so much pressure. If we live to constantly please others, how can we ever feel self-fulfilled? It's a self-defeating battle we have already lost.

It's back to the 'I'm okay, you're okay'.. You are you, and I am I.

I must start focusing on some work. It's getting to that time of the semester again. Oh, who am I kidding. I will most likely drink tea and fall asleep..

1 comment:

  1. That's such a lovely quote.
    Lovely lovely.
    You are lovely also.
    See you tomorrow for theatre and sleepyover times!
    xx

    ReplyDelete