Monday 13 December 2010

Sunset

'Because of having less fear of giving or receiving positive feelings, I have become more able to appreciate individuals. I have come to believe that this ability is rather rare; so often, even with our children, we love them to control them rather than loving them because we appreciate them. One of the most satisfying feelings I know - and also one of the most growth promoting experiences for the other person - comes from my appreciating this individual in the same way that I appreciate a sunset. People are just as wonderful as sunsets if I can let them be.  In fact, perhaps the reason we can truly appreciate the sunset is that we cannot control it.' 

Carl Rogers.



I came across this piece of writing while doing some reading for uni. I absolutely adore reading some of my course books. Such influential and interesting people. It's times like this that I have no doubt in my mind that I am on the right course.
Kind of reinforces the belief that if we learn to take control of purely our own lives and no one else's, that's how we will truly begin to grow into the best we can hope to be. Hopefully we wouldn't shy away and conform to certain expectations. People will appreciate us for who we are and equally, we begin to appreciate those around us for the unique person that they are - not expecting any more or any less. Just allowing each person and most importantly, allowing ourselves to simply be free.
x

No comments:

Post a Comment